If you are a DIYer then words like ‘cement’, ‘concrete’, and ‘mortar’ might be confusing to you. You must have clubbed them together as a masonry substance and thought to use them for constructing a perfectly flat surface. Don’t worry you are not the only one who is confused here. Many times cement, concrete, and mortar are used synonymously or interchangeable. However, not all masonry substances worked in a similar manner. Before we comprehend the advantage of mortar over cement we must know what a mortar is and how it is different from cement.
What is Mortar?
Mortar is a mixture of lime, clay, and water. It is used as a binding element in construction. It helps in floor levelling, repairing damaged concrete, plastering, and filling patches. Mostly mortar is used as a binding material in masonry work. It is usually available in ready-to-mix granulated form.
Advantage of Mortar Over Cement and Concrete
Source : Google Images (Function of Wall Mortar on Bricks)
- Mortar has high tensile bond strength that is much needed while working on bricks whereas cement cannot be used alone. Cement has to be mixed with concrete or mortar to use on the surface.
- Mortar has crack-resistant properties. It quickly sets on the surface and fills any cracks, splits, or fissures.
- Mortar has low air content and high initial flow which allows it to cover the maximum unit on the masonry units whereas cement and concrete do not have high initial flow thus they consume time to set on the surface.
- Mortar consists of fine particles with high plasticity which acts as an excellent binding agent when worked upon blocks and bricks.
- Mortar is durable and has a low maintenance system thus it is majorly used for industrial purposes.
Things to keep in mind while using Mortar
- If you have applied mortar once on the surface you cannot remove it or re-mixe it as it will reduce the strength of the mortar.
- Do not add too much water to Mortar as it reduces its strength and durability.
- Do not add substances in those mixtures which are not recommended. The pre-mix mortar already comes with admixtures which get activated once mixed with water.
What are ThermoPlast- Wall Mortar and Why Should You Care?
As you have already read about mortar and its benefits. Now imagine if you can insulate your walls while using a mortar and save your utility bills. Yes, you read it right. With the advancement of technology, masonry units have also enhanced their products following the new and improvised innovations. Earlier mortar is used for binding stones or bricks in the wall. Now the same mortar has insulation properties thus it not only makes the wall tight by filling up the space but also works as thermal resistant material. PETRA BUILDCARE imbibes the unique Hollow NanoSphere Technology in the conventional mortar and manufactures ThermoPlast- wall mortar to be used in construction commercial and household buildings. ThermoPlast – wall mortar is an idiosyncratic product and is only manufactured by PETRA BUILDCARE. It is distinctive because it works as an energy-saving solution and does not allow the transfer of heat. If you have applied ThermoPlast – wall mortar to the exterior of the house it will protect the house from heat, dampness, clogs, and bacteria. If you apply ThermoPlast to both interior and exterior walls it forms a protected layer around the house and maintains its temperature. You can save 30% – 35% on electricity bills by applying ThermoPlast – wall mortar to your house.
Look over the long-term gains and build a space that supports eco-friendly living!! Choose Smart!!